01 2411 236
Winter semester 2022/2023: Mondays, 9.30-11.00 (Room 220 or Zoom) - By prior arrangement by e-mail
Prof. Dr. Katja Vintar Mally
Katja Vintar Mally is an Associate Professor at the Department of Geography, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana. In 2003, she received her master’s degree in Landscape Ecology and Environmental Protection, and in 2006 she obtained her PhD in Geography with the thesis “Contradictions between environmental protection and socio-economic development in developing countries”. She holds the Chair for Environmental protection at the Department of Geography and teaches courses on environmental protection and sustainable development (Environmental Geography, Geography of Environmental Resources, Urban Ecology) as well as regional geography (Geography of North Africa and Southwest Asia, Geography of Sub-Saharan Africa).
Her personal research focus and interests encompass sustainable development, sustainable development indicators, sustainable use of environmental resources, environmental protection, regional development, etc. She is a member of the Department's research group and its research programme "Sustainable regional development of Slovenia", and is currently involved in several national and international research projects.
Past and current activities:
- Head of the Department of Geography, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana (2022–)
- Vice Dean, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana (2017–2021)
- Head of the Chair for Environmental Protection, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana (2017–)
- Vice Head of the Department of Geography, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana (2016–2018)
- IGU Commission C16.18 Global Understanding: Steering Committee member (2017–)
- International Year of Global Understanding – Regional Action Center Ljubljana: chair (2016–2017)
- Programme Council of the Interdisciplinary Doctoral Programme in Environmental Protection, University of Ljubljana: member (2014–)
- Geography Testing Committee for the Matura in Slovenia: president (2012–2018)
- Commission for the Standardization of Geographical Names of the Government of the Republic of Slovenia: member (2011–2017)
- Member of editorial boards: Dela (2014–), Geografski vestnik (Geographical Bulletin; 2011–)
- Alumni Club of Geographers of the University of Ljubljana: board member (2009–2016)
- Ljubljana geographical society: president (2005–2009), vice-president (2009–2011), board member (2003–2011)
- Association of Slovenian Geographers: board member (2005–2009)
- Slovenian Young Geographers Association: president (1997–1998)
Vintar Mally, K., 2020. The performance of European Union countries in decoupling socio-economic progress from environmental impacts. Dela, 54, pp. 105–123. DOI: 10.4312/dela.54.105-123
Vintar Mally, K., 2020. The environmental price of socio-economic development: worldwide trends from 1990 to 2016. European journal of geography, 11, 2, pp. 137–153. DOI: 10.48088/ejg.k.mal.126.96.36.199
Vintar Mally, K., Resnik Planinc, T., 2019. Intergenerational differences in memories of Yugoslavia - the case of Slovenia. Geographica Pannonica, 23, 3, pp. 185–194. DOI: 10.5937/gp23-21233
Kociper, D., Vintar Mally, K., Kajfež-Bogataj, L., 2019. Climate vulnerability of agriculture in statistical regions of Slovenia. Italian journal of agrometeorology = Rivista italiana di agrometeorologia, 2019, iss. 2, pp. 35–48. DOI: 10.13128/ijam-651
Vintar Mally, K., 2018. Regional differences in Slovenia from the viewpoint of achieving Europe’s sustainable development. Acta geographica Slovenica, 58, 2, pp. 31–46. DOI: 10.3986/AGS.3309
Vintar Mally, K., 2018. Regional disparities in sustainable development of Slovenia – cohesion or marginalization? In: Pelc, S., Koderman, M. (eds) Nature, tourism and ethnicity as drivers of (de)marginalization: insights to marginality from perspective of sustainability and development, (Perspectives on geographical marginality, vol. 3). Cham, Springer, pp. 257–269.
Dlouhá, J., Vintar Mally, K., Dlouhý, J., 2017. ESD principles in higher education from a perspective of Central and Eastern European countries. International journal of sustainability in higher education, 18, 6, pp. 822–840. DOI: 10.1108/IJSHE-03-2016-0045
Vintar Mally, K., 2016. Perceptions of air quality in Ljubljana. Dela, 46, pp. 77–88. DOI: 10.4312/dela.46.3.67-88
Ogrin, M., Vintar Mally, K., Planinšek, A., Gregorič, A., Drinovec, L., Močnik, G., 2016. Nitrogen dioxide and black carbon concentrations in Ljubljana, (GeograFF, 18). Ljubljana, Ljubljana University Press, Faculty of Arts, 118 p.
Vintar Mally, K., Ogrin, M., 2015. Spatial variations in nitrogen dioxide concentrations in urban Ljubljana, Slovenia. Moravian geographical reports, 23, 3, pp. 27–35. DOI: 10.1515/mgr-2015-0015
Vintar Mally, K., 2012. Geografija Podsaharske Afrike (Geography of Sub-Saharan Africa). Ljubljana, Ljubljana University Press, Faculty of Arts, 245 p.
Vintar Mally, K., 2011. Measuring progress towards sustainability: the geographer's view. Hrvatski geografski glasnik, 73, 2, pp. 67–80.