Introduction to Methods for Geographers
Lecturer(s): doc. dr. Rogelj Boštjan, izr. prof. dr. Krevs Marko
• methods, methodology; overview of basic quantitative and qualitative methods in the scientific and professional work of geographers,
• data, information; data sources, independent data collection (measurement); copyright protection and data; data storage,
• methods and effectiveness of data presentation; presentation of data in a lay and scientific manner; database integration, relational databases (identifier, query language - SQL),
• basics of statistical methods: data; relative numbers; measures of central tendency and dispersion; parametric and non-parametric statistical methods; normal frequency distribution, checking the normality of the distribution, transformations of variables; testing statistical hypotheses; sampling; statistical correlation; analysis of variance, post-hoc analysis of variance; linear regression analysis, interval estimation; an introduction to multivariate statistics - multiple regression analysis, clustering,
• introduction to time series analysis,
• introduction to photography as a method in geographer's work.