Philosophy of History
ECTS credit: 3
Lecturer(s): asist. dr. Kravanja Aljoša, izr. prof. dr. Pribac Igor
- Philosophy and historiography: discursivity and narrativity, general and specific in history
- Epistemological status of history: historiography as a human science,historiography of science, representation of history,historiography and art, , public use of history.
- Orders of temporality
- The emergence of historiography (Herodotus, Thucydides, Polibius, Tacitus):the role of history in Aristotle's Poetics.
- Christian eschatology; theory of time in Augustine; eschatological readings of Bible; periodization and universalisation of history.
- The birth of the modern historical consciousness during the period of humanism: Machiavelli and Vico; Enlightenment and philosophy of history.
- Hegel's historicism and Marx's theory of history: historical interpretation as a tool of political criticism and revolutionary action.
- Structuralist critique of historicism: Althusser, Foucault and Lyotard. Colonialism and post-colonial critique.
- Philosophy of historiography in the 20th century: Popper, Strauss, Deconstructivism, analytic philosophy of history.